Students Currently Abroad
By studying abroad, you will have unique and life-changing experiences. Adjusting to another culture and taking advantage of your study abroad experience can be daunting. Here are some suggestions to help you maximize and cope with your experiences abroad:
- Go out of your way to meet local people. Join a club, play a sport, take a fun class, or volunteer.
- Get to know the area and establish regular patterns. You'll feel more at home and businesses will recognize you as a regular.
- Use the local language and learn about local viewpoints and customs.
- Keep a journal or blog to help you digest your experience now and cherish it when you get back home.
- Unplug yourself from the US. Don't spend all your free time e-mailing home.
- Snap lots of photos and video.